Alex Pereira becomes a two-weight champion at UFC 295
Alex Pereira joins the short list of UFC fighters who have earned championships in two weight classes. This past Saturday, ‘Po Atan’ won the newly vacant UFC light heavyweight championship at UFC 295 with a second-round finish of Jiri Prochazka. Now, there was some slight controversy, as most thought referee Marc Goddard ended things too early after it appeared as though ‘Denisa’ recovered from the barrage of elbows and punches from Pereira. Regardless, Pereira is once again a UFC champion.
Here is how Round 2 went, courtesy of the play-by-play provided by our own Nate Wilcox:
Procházka in southpaw. Pereira fires a 1-2. Procházka noticably limping. Jumping front kick by Procházka. Backs Pereira into the cage. Pereira slips out. Lands two leg kicks. Procházka lands a left hook and a right. Knee to the body by Procházka. Procházka opens up and is hurting Pereira! Pereira fires back, lands. More shots land for Procházka. Leg kicks landing on Procházka.
Left hook and knee to the body by Pereira. Procházka pushes him against the cage. Pereira gets free. They trade leg kicks. Procházka lands a right. Pereira drops him with a counter left hook! Procházka drops and fights for a take down. Pereira landing elbows to his head. Procházka falls back. Pereira follows him down with punches. The ref stops it. Pereira wins!Thank you, Nate!
Here is how Twitter reacted to Alex Pereira‘s second-round KO
Here is how Twitter reacted to Jiri Prochazka vs. Alex Pereira at UFC 295:
Full UFC 295 Results
- Alex Pereira def. Jiri Prochazka by KO (elbows and punches) at 4:08 of Round 2
- Tom Aspinall def. Sergei Pavlovich by KO (punches) at 1:09 of Round 1
- Jéssica Andrade def. Mackenzie Dern by TKO (punches) at 3:15 of Round 2
- Benoît Saint-Denis def. Matt Frevola by KO (head kick and punches) at 1:31 of Round 1
- Diego Lopes def. Pat Sabatini by KO (punches) at 1:30 of Round 1
- Steve Erceg def. Alessandro Costa by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Loopy Godinez def. Tabatha Ricci by split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mateusz Rębecki def. Roosevelt Roberts by submission (armbar) at 3:08 of Round 1
- Nazim Sadykhov vs. Viacheslav Borshchev ruled a Majority Draw (29-28, 28-28, 28-28)
- Jared Gordon def. Mark O. Madsen by TKO (elbows and punches) at 4:42 of Round 1
- John Castaneda def. Kyung-Ho Kang by unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
- Joshua van def. Kevin Borjas by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Jamall Emmers def. Dennis Buzukja by TKO (punches) at 0:49 of Round 1
Thank you for reading this article. Please consider subscribing to the Bloody Elbow Substack to enjoy our daily premium content. Your paid subscriptions are helping build our new site and keeping hope alive that our staff will remain intact. If you haven’t already, please pledge with a paid subscription today.
Join the new Bloody Elbow
Our Substack is where we feature the work of writers like Zach Arnold, John Nash and Connor Reubusch. We’re fighting for the sport, the fighters and the fans. Please help us by subscribing today.
About the author