The UFC’s most high-profile Chechen fighter Khamzat Chimaev convincingly beat former welterweight champ Kamaru Usman today at UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi. Chimaev utterly dominated the first round before easing the pressure in the second and third. Nonetheless it was enough for a majority decision win (29-27×2, 28-28).
Update: Translation of Chimaev’s UFC 294 remarks in his native Chechen
Not being Chechen speakers ourselves we missed something major last night when reporting on Chimaev’s post-fight speech. Here’s a translation of his remarks in Chechen addressed to Ramzan Kadyrov (via Karim Zidan’s Sports Politika):
“Chief, may Allah be pleased with you, it is not difficult to perform here and fight for you here. If you give me permission, I swear by Allah, I will be the first to go there [to Palestine]. For God’s sake, give me weapons so I can go to Palestine. I swear, I wasn’t raised to fight in shorts. I swore allegiance to our chief and I swear, if he gives me the right, I am the guy who will go and die there. I don’t worry about my own death as much as I worry about [the death of] my Muslim brothers.”
More from Sports Politka: “Kadyrov subsequently shared video footage of himself picking up Chimaev in a private jet from the UAE and returning to Chechnya, where he received a hero’s welcome. He also posted a photo of his sons posing with White following the event.”
Khamzat Chimaev’s UFC 294 post-fight speech
When given the mic after his big win, Chimaev made a statement. Here it is:
“Guys you know what’s happening in the world right now. I wasn’t happy (being) in the cage fight this week, and seeing kids dying. Doesn’t matter where ever in the world: Ukraine, Syria, Afghanistan, Palestine, USA. Doesn’t matter.
“When kids die it’s hard guys. I love the kids. I have a boy waiting for me there back home he’s only 3 months. If he’s just crying I don’t know how to feel.
“When somebody dies, guys I don’t know what to say. Inshallah would be good in the world I hope so. Christian, Muslim, Jew doesn’t matter. Please guys, be together. Let us live in this world. Let us be happy.”
UFC 294: Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski 2 Quick Results
- – Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski: Lightweight Title
- – Khamzat Chimaev def. Kamaru Usman by majority decision (29-27 x2, 28-28): Middleweight
- – Magomed Ankalaev vs. Johnny Walker is a no contest at 3:13 of round 1: Light Heavyweight
- – Ikram Aliskerov def. Warlley Alves by TKO at 2:07 of round 1: Middleweight
- – Said Nurmagomedov def. Muin Gafurov by submission (Ninja Choke) at 1:13 of round 1: Bantamweight
- – Muhammad Mokaev def. Tim Elliott by submission (Arm Triangle) at 3:03 of round 3: Flyweight
- – Trevor Peek def. Mohammad Yahya by unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28): Lightweight
- – Javid Basharat vs. Victor Henry is a no contest at :15 of round 2: Bantamweight
- – Sedriques Dumas def. Abu Azaitar by unanimous decision (29-28 x3): Middleweight
- – Mike Breeden def. Anshul Jubli by KO at 3:00 of round 3: Lightweight
- – Muhammad Naimov def. Nathaniel Wood by unanimous decision (29-28 x3): Featherweight
- – Victoria Dudakova def. Jinh Yu Frey by unanimous decision (29-28 x3): Strawweight
- – Sharabutdin Magomedov def. Bruno Silva by unanimous decision (30-27 x3): Middleweight
Join the new Bloody Elbow
Our Substack is where we feature the work of writers like Zach Arnold, John Nash and Karim Zidan. We’re fighting for the sport, the fighters and the fans. Please help us by subscribing today.
About the author