Khamzat Chimaev defeats Kamaru Usman at UFC 294
Khamzat Chimaev added an ex-UFC champion to his résumé at UFC 294 this past Saturday. Chimaev went up against Kamaru Usman — who accepted the fight on short notice — and shined, as he got the ‘Nigerian Nightmare‘ down and mauled him for the first five minutes. However, as the fight went on, Usman started to defend those takedowns from ‘Borz,‘ who was forced to stay on his feet and exchange. These two exchanged until the final horn sounded. UFC announcer Bruce Buffer revealed Chimaev had done enough to get the win via majority decision.
Here is how Round 1 went, courtesy of our own Stephie Haynes’ play-by-play:
Low kick by Chimaev. Chimaev shoots for a double, but Usman stuffs it. Chimaev has his back working for the takedown. He manage to get Usman down and is riding his back and landing shots. Usman up on his hands and knees, not flattened out.
Borz working to separate Usman from the fence. Usman works his way back to the fence. Chimaev working from the top but is starting to fall off. Chimaev is still riding him and landing punches and elbows. Usman stands up with the Borz backpack. Chimaev sinks in the choke but Usman drops down to avoid, shaking him loose somewhat.
Borz on his back trying to flatten him out. Usman is landing shots but Borz is controlling well and working for another choke. Chimaev is just making positional changes to keep Usman controlled. That was a mauling.Thank you, Stephie!
Twitter reactions to Chimaev vs. Usman
See how Twitter reacted to Khamzat Chimaev vs. Kamaru Usman:
Full UFC 294 results
- Khamzat Chimaev def. Kamaru Usman by majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)
- Magomed Ankalev vs. Johnny Walker ruled a No Contest (illegal knee to a downed opponent)
- Ikram Aliskerov def. Warlley Alves by TKO (flying knee and punches) at 2:07 of Round 1
- Said Nurmagomedov def. Muin Gafurov by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:13 of Round 1
- Muhammad Mokaev def. Tim Elliott by submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:03 of Round 3
- Trevor Peek def. Mohammad Yahya by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Javid Basharat vs. Victor Henry ruled a No Contest (accidental groin kick)
- Sedriques Dumas def. Abu Azaitar by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Mike Breeden def. Anshul Jubli by knockout (punch) at 3:00 of Round 3
- Muhammad Naimov def. Nathaniel Wood by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Victoria Dudakova def. Jinh Yu Frey by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Shara Magomedov def. Bruno Silva by unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
Join the new Bloody Elbow
Our Substack is where we feature the work of writers like Zach Arnold, John Nash and Connor Reubusch. We’re fighting for the sport, the fighters and the fans. Please help us by subscribing today.
About the author