Islam Makhachev head kicks Alexander Volkanovski at UFC 294
Islam Makhachev closed the Alexander Volkanovski chapter of his career with a ‘KO of the Year’ contender at UFC 294 on Saturday. Heading into his short-notice rematch against Volkanovski, the reigning UFC lightweight champion wanted to clear up any confusion on who was the better fighter between the two, especially since there were some leftover questions from their first fight this past February. Consider those questions answered because Makhachev turned in a perfect performance against the reigning UFC featherweight champion, sending him to the canvas with a high kick and sealing the deal with ground-and-pound in the first round of their highly anticipated rematch.
Here is how Round 1 went, courtesy of our own Stephie Haynes’ play-by-play:
Islam with an inside leg kick. Islam throwing nothing but kicks so far but none landing except the first one. Inside leg kick lands for Islam as well as a high kick. Islam presses Volk against the cage. Volk spins it around and now Islam is pressed against the cage. Islam spins out and lands a great knee up the middle.
Volk has Islam against the fence again, but Islam is landing knees. THey work back to the center. Islam with a big left that lands. Left low kick by Volk. Islam lands a huge left high kick that puts Volk down like a sack of bricks. Islam follows him down with hammerfists as Goddard immediately intervenes. Fight over.Thank you, Stephie!
Twitter reacts to Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski 2
Here is how Twitter reacted to Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski 2:
Full UFC 294 Results
- Islam Makhachev def. Alexander Volkanovski by KO (head kick and punches) at 3:06 of Round 1
- Khamzat Chimaev def. Kamaru Usman by majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)
- Magomed Ankalev vs. Johnny Walker ruled a No Contest (illegal knee to a downed opponent)
- Ikram Aliskerov def. Warlley Alves by TKO (flying knee and punches) at 2:07 of Round 1
- Said Nurmagomedov def. Muin Gafurov by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:13 of Round 1
- Muhammad Mokaev def. Tim Elliott by submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:03 of Round 3
- Trevor Peek def. Mohammad Yahya by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Javid Basharat vs. Victor Henry ruled a No Contest (accidental groin kick)
- Sedriques Dumas def. Abu Azaitar by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Mike Breeden def. Anshul Jubli by knockout (punch) at 3:00 of Round 3
- Muhammad Naimov def. Nathaniel Wood by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Victoria Dudakova def. Jinh Yu Frey by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Shara Magomedov def. Bruno Silva by unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
Join the new Bloody Elbow
Our Substack is where we feature the work of writers like Zach Arnold, John Nash and Connor Reubusch. We’re fighting for the sport, the fighters and the fans. Please help us by subscribing today.
About the author