Two of the flyweight division’s best rising prospects have been removed from this week’s UFC Jacksonville fight card. The ABC broadcast event, featuring top ranked featherweights Josh Emmett and Ilia Topuria in the main event will have to go ahead with just thirteen fights after one athlete struggled hard with the scales on weigh in day.
Kleydson Rodrigues blows flyweight limit by 3 pounds
Top Brazilian flyweight prospect Kleydson Rodrigues had been all set to take on one of Japan’s best young talents on the undercard of this weekend’s UFC card in Jacksonville, FL. Unfortunately for Taira, Rodrigues hit the scales at 129 pounds, three pounds over the 126 pound non-title fight limit for flyweight bouts.
It’s not clear at this time whether Taira declined a catchweight, or whether the miss was potentially too big for the commission to allow the fight to move forward with the discrepancy. Whatever the case, with less than 24 hours before the fight, there’s no way that the UFC could find a replacement opponent. No word yet as to whether the fight will be re-booked for a new date, but it seems likely considering Rodrigues’ removal from the event was not due to injury.
Rodrigues not the only fighter to miss weight
The 27-year-old wasn’t the only fighter to struggle with the scales on Friday. Kill Cliff FC talent Loik Radzhabov missed the lightweight mark for his bout against Mateusz Rebecki as well. The ‘Tajik Tank’ came in at 157.25 pounds, just 11/4 pounds over the limit. Fortunately, in his case, the bout will go ahead at a catchweight, with Radzhabov fined 20% of his show purse as a result of the weight infraction.
Jamall Emmers had his own issues getting down to fight weight. The featherweight out of Pinnacle MMA came in at 147 pounds on his first attempt, for his bout against Australia’s Jack Jenkins. Fortunately, in his case, ‘Prettyboy’ was able to hit the mark on his second try, coming in right on the 146 pound limit. As a result, the bout will go ahead as planned with no fines and no catchweight agreement.
Full UFC Fight Night Jacksonville weigh-in results
All other fighters on the card made weight for their UFC on ABC 5 bouts. Check out the full results for the event below.
Main Card (3 p.m. ET) (ABC / ESPN+)
- Featherweight: Josh Emmett (145.5) vs. Ilia Topuria (146)
- Flyweight: Amanda Ribas (125) vs. Maycee Barber (126)
- Heavyweight: Justin Tafa (266) vs. Austen Lane (245.5)
- Featherweight: David Onama (146) vs. Gabriel Santos (145)
- Middleweight: Brendan Allen (185.5) vs. Bruno Silva (186)
Preliminary Card (11:30 a.m. ET) (ESPN / ESPN+)
- Welterweight: Neil Magny (171) vs. Phil Rowe (171)
- Welterweight: Randy Brown (171) vs. Wellington Turman (171)
- Lightweight: Mateusz Rebecki (155.5) vs. Loik Radzhabov (157.25)*
- Strawweight: Tabatha Ricci (114) vs. Gillian Robertson (116)
- Flyweight: Zhalgas Zhumagulov (125.5) vs. Joshua Van (125.25)
- Lightweight: Trevor Peek (156) vs. Chepe Mariscal (154)
- Featherweight: Jamall Emmers (146)*** vs. Jack Jenkins (145.5)
- Flyweight: Tatsuro Taira (126) vs. Kleydson Rodrigues (129)**
- Middleweight: Cody Brundage (186) vs. Sedriques Dumas (185)
About the author