Katie Taylor fans in Dublin celebrated a bitter sweet homecoming as the all-time great Irish boxer lost her Irish professional debut to Chantelle Camerson by majority decision. Taylor stepped up to challenge Cameron for the undisputed junior welterweight championship at 140 pounds but came up just short. One judge scored it a 95-95 draw but the other two saw it 96-94 which was all Cameron needed for the majority decision win.
Katie Taylor came up short in attempt to add another belt to her collection
Katie Taylor is one of the most decorated boxers in the history of the sport, regardless of gender and remains the undisputed lightweight champion but couldn’t get it done tonight. Bad Left Hook’s Scott Christ said, “Cameron used a tremendous pressure game plan and was able to physically neutralize Taylor.”
MMA Mania’s Dan Hiergesell wrote, “Taylor tried to impose her will early on, but it was Cameron who landed the more meaningful shots in the opening rounds. Taylor scored some solid rights along the way only to have Cameron respond with lead jabs and constant forward movement.
“Both women would exchange crisp shots and inside barrages in the middle half of the fight leading into the later frames. They almost traded rounds on the scorecards as the action was real tight. Cameron was just a little more active and ended up defending her light-welterweight title on enemy soil.”
Katie Taylor vs Chantelle Cameron Highlights
Katie Taylor vs. Chantelle Cameron quick results
Bloody Elbow’s live results post has complete reporting on all the action. In the meantime here are the quick results.
Taylor vs. Cameron Results:
MAIN CARD RESULTS
- Chantelle Cameron MD-10 Katie Taylor (95-95, 96-94, 96-94) — Undisputed Female Super Lightweight Title
- Jose Felix DEF. Gary Cully via TKO-3 (2:34)
- James Metcalf DEF. Dennis Hogan: UD-12 (117-110, 117-110, 115-112) — IBO World Super-Welterweight Title
- Caoimhin Agyarko DEF. Grant Dennis: UD-10 (100-90, 100-90, 100-90)
- Thomas Carty DEF. Jay McFarlane: TKO-3 (2:58) — Celtic Heavyweight Title
PRELIM CARD RESULTS
- Paddy Donovan DEF. Sam O’maison: KO/TKO, Corner Stoppage (Towel)-6 (2:13)
- MaiseyRose Courtney DEF. Kate Radomska: via Points-6 (58-57)
Join the Bloody Elbow Substack!
Support Bloody Elbow, and get exclusive content.
You know you can count on us for quick, consistent quality coverage. Bloody Elbow is an independent, reader supported publication. Please subscribe to our newsletter to keep up with our best work and learn how you can support the site.
About the author