Before the UFC heads back on the road for a pair of events in May, the promotion will come back to the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, NV for a Fight Night event this weekend. Ranked bantamweights Song Yadong and Ricky Simon will headline the card, looking to climb up the bottom half of the division’s top 15 with a big win this weekend.
Before the main event, a six-bout main card is expected to include appearances from veteran Julian Erosa, grappling ace Rodolfo Vieira, undefeated heavyweight Waldo Cortes-Acosta, and many others.
Simon, Song chasing first UFC main event win
The fight between Simon and Song wasn’t originally meant to be a main event. In fact, it was first booked for the co-main event spot of last weekend’s card. However, after a main event bout between Arman Tsarukyan and Renato Moicano departed the April 29 lineup, UFC decided to move this fight and promote it to a five-round headlining spot.
Song is currently searching for his first UFC main event victory. He made his headliner debut last year, suffering a fourth-round doctor stoppage defeat against Cory Sandhagen in September 2022. He had attained a trio of victories at bantamweight before then.
Saturday will be a first for Simon, as he has never fought for a maximum of five rounds in the UFC cage before. He comes into this weekend with some momentum, having picked up four consecutive wins, with three coming via finish. This includes a win over then-undefeated Jack Shore and veteran Raphael Assuncao.
UFC Vegas 72: Song vs. Simon weigh-in results
UFC Vegas 72 is expected to be 11 bouts in total, meaning we should expect 22 different fighters to hit the scale on Friday morning. The weigh-ins will open at 12 p.m. ET for all fighters and run for a total of two hours.
Keep tabs on this page as the weigh-in results for UFC Vegas 72 come in. We’ll have updates on the weights that fighters hit, and what will happen to a bout if a fighter misses weight.
A live stream link to the weigh-ins will also be provided once it is available.
Main Card (7 p.m. / ESPN+)
- Bantamweight: Song Yadong (136) vs. (136) Ricky Simon
- Middleweight: Caio Borralho (185.5) vs. Michael Oleksiejczuk (185.5)
- Middleweight: Cody Brundage (185.5) vs. Rodolfo Vieira (186)
- Featherweight: Julian Erosa (145.5) vs. Fernando Padilla (145.5)
- Heavyweight: Waldo Cortes-Acosta (258) vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima (262.5)
- Welterweight: Josh Quinlan (169) vs. Trey Waters (171)
Preliminary Card (4 p.m. / ESPN+)
- Heavyweight: Martin Buday (265) vs. Jake Collier (265.5)
- Flyweight: Cody Durden (126) vs. Charles Johnson (125.5)
- Bantamweight: Stephanie Egger (135) vs. Irina Alekseeva (140)**
- Catchweight 140 lbs: Journey Newson (138.5) vs. Marcus McGhee (140)
- Bantamweight: Hailey Cowan (137.5)* vs. Jamey-Lyn Horth (135.5)
*Hailey Cowan missed the bantamweight limit by one and a half pounds. Due to this weight miss, 20 percent of her fight purse will go to opponent Jamey-Lyn Horth.
**Irina Alekseeva missed the bantamweight limit by four pounds. 30 percent of her fight purse will go to Stephanie Egger because of this.
About the author