Tête-à-tête (French “head-to-head”):
noun – a private conversation between two people, usually in an intimate setting. | adjective – involving or happening between two people in private. | adverb – between two people in private.
‘Kid Nate’ is BACK!
The MMA Tête-à-tête/MMA Bunker/MMA Bathrobe review is back after a nine-year hiatus, ‘Kid’ Nate Wilcox is reviving one of our most popular MMA podcasts. Thank you for joining us for Episode 04: A candid conversation between ‘Kid Nate’ Wilcox & Jason Cruz, Attorney at Law.
This Week’s Guest
Jason Cruz of Cruz Law, PLLC, founder of MMAPayout.com, Co-Host of our own ‘Show Money’ Podcast, award-winning author for Northwest Asian Weekly with a book out currently with McFarland Books, titled: Mixed Martial Arts and the Law: Disputes, Suits and Legal Issues.
MMAPayout is a blog focusing on the business and legal issues concerning the sport of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). It is widely recognized as the authority on the business of MMA. Its readers are all over the world including Australia, Brazil, China and the Philippines. It has been cited by The New Yorker, The New York Times and on Deadspin.com.
Cruz has been interviewed by The New York Times, The Washington Post and various other media discussing the business of MMA; as well as having published two law review articles focusing on the First Amendment and MMA.
‘Kid Nate’ welcomes him onto the Bloody Elbow Podcast Network, while giving all the lucky BE Substack listeners over a half hour of pure, unadulterated bonus MMA content.
This Week’s Episode
Hola cage-fighting connoisseurs! In this episode, ‘Kid Nate’ hunkers down in the MMA Bunker with his elite guest, Jason Cruz, Atty. at Law. They talk tête-à-tête on recent legal kerfuffles in the world of combat sports entertainment, acquisitions, contracts, and more!
WWE Acquisition via Endeavor:
- WWE acquisition by Endeavor, is it a big deal for UFC/WWE fans?
- How much did Vince McMahon’s disgrace with sexual misconduct with women affect him or the business of WWE? No criminal charges?
- Segue… Dana White also faces zero sanctions after slapping his wife on video… is Endeavor creating the brand that they have complete immunity for their corporate executives in the TKO Division?
- Dana White & Vince McMahon — how much can they get away with before seeing any sanctions or rejections of wild ideas?
- Vince’s return as a ‘Power Player’ in the company is not temporary, as we were lead to believe? Was it a swerve for WWE when he failed to return to retirement?
- Crossovers from WWE to UFC and vice-versa… will there be more Brock Lesnars and CM Punks coming our way?
- Is there even anyone on the current WWE roster that could even potentially be successful as a cage fighter? Potential crossovers include: Tad Gable & Gable Stevenson
- Is Ronda Rousey even still active in WWE events? Why isn’t she a bigger draw over there?
- Vince and Dana, who do you see being at the head of their division the longest?
- WWE is on Peacock/NBC, that arrangement is up in about a year… UFC is about up with ESPN+ around the same time or roughly awhile thereafter. Will Endeavor be trying to package them together on a streaming service?
- Follow up… Will WWE/UFC create their own streaming platform down the road? Is the financial side of streaming with ESPN/Disney too enticing for them to branch off into a subscriber based digital streaming network featuring all things pro-wrestling and MMA?
Nate Diaz vs. Jake Paul Celebrity Boxing Event:
- Nate Diaz vs. Jake Paul celebrity boxing event this summer… will this be the penultimate conclusion for Jake Paul in his run with this genre?
- Nate Diaz is undersized in comparison to Paul, do you see any other advantages on either side in this upcoming encounter?
- Nate Diaz’ role with PFL (Professional Fighting League) regarding this bout.
- Will Diaz return to the UFC? The trilogy fight with Conor McGregor, will that be the draw?
- Why wasn’t the UFC able to get that deal signed with Diaz before Jake Paul swooped in with his offer?
- It’s been clearly established UFC garners 85% of the take, leaving their fighters a meager 15%… but at what point do they hit diminishing returns?
Tune-in to this Bloody Elbow Podcast Production with our fearless leader ‘Kid Nate’ Wilcox, and enjoy! Thanks for pledging your support to the efforts of our 100% listener-supported podcast team, and joining us for the show today!
The ‘MMA Tête–À–Tête‘ with ‘Kid Nate’ was born as a spin off of our wildly successful ‘MMA Bunker’ podcast & Kid Nate’s ‘Bathrobe Review’ series, about a decade or so ago. This show has always featured our fearless leader ‘Kid Nate’ inviting guests from the MMA world and MMA Media Community to have a one-on-one candid conversation with him about hot button topics in Combat Sports. Today, we continue on with that tradition.
Previous guests have included MMA notables, the likes of which include; Luke Thomas, Coach Michael Riordan, Dallas Winston, Brian D’Souza, John Makdessi, Jack Encarnacao, as well as our very own Fight Analyst and Deputy Site Editor Zane Simon, MMA Podcast Producer and MMA Podcast Host Stephie Haynes and Guest Author and Podcast Host, Eugene S. Robinson.
We churned out a total of sixty-six episodes of the show over the course of two years, spanning from 2011 to 2013. It is truly our pleasure to bring this MMA show back to the airwaves for you. Thank you for listening to this Bloody Elbow Podcast Network Production with our owner, ‘Kid Nate’ Wilcox.
You can learn more from Jason Cruz about MMA and the Law and the business side of MMA by following @dilletaunt and @MMApayout, reading his work at MMAPayout.com and following his insights on our own Show Money MMA Business Podcast with Paul Gift, the economist, and John Nash, the financial analyst. You can also catch up with ‘Kid Nate’ on twitter @KidNate. While you’re browsing social media, be sure to follow us as @BloodyElbow on twitter, facebook, instagram, and at BloodyElbow.Substack.com & BloodyElbowPodcast.Substack.com.
Our Podcasts Have a New Home
Bloody Elbow Podcasts on Substack is your place for all the BE combat sports oriented shows you love, like ‘Show Money‘, ‘The 6th Round Post-Fight Show’, ‘The MMA Vivisections’, ‘The MMA Depressed-Us’, ‘The MMA Bunker’, ‘The Level Change Podcast’, ‘The Hey Not The Face! Podcast’, and more.
Our BE Podcast Network is 100% listener-supported, meaning paid subscriptions help make sure these shows continue to run. So, please support our team by joining us for bonus content and bonus podcasts on Substack today.
Other Places to Find Our Shows
If you enjoy what we do, please give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow. Thank you for tuning in to this Bloody Elbow Podcast Network Production. Subscribe to Bloody Elbow Podcast Substack to get these shows directly in your email inbox and instant notifications for when your favourite pod drops.
In addition to Substack you can still find our shows on the following platforms:
Apple Podcasts, iTunes, Amazon Music, Audible, Spotify, Simplecast, TuneIn, Overcast, Castbox, Castbox Premium, Podchaser, Podvine, Podbay.fm, RSSRadio, AntennaPod, Podkicker, Podkicker Pro, Google Podcasts, SoundCloud, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Pandora, Stitcher, PodcastApp, PocketCasts, Player.fm, PodCruncher, thisMMAlife.com, Podbean, Podtail, Owltail, Listen Notes, & iVooxApp.
The shows will soon be available on these platforms, too:
Castro, Podcast Addict, Podtail, Owltail, Podbean, Chartable, imdb, podtoppen.se, Podcast Republic, DownCast, iCatcher!, Castaway, Castaway2, & BeyondPod!
Listen to a Glimpse of the Show on Our SoundCloud
About the author