An interesting update to the UFC stats is about Chris Curtis, who did not win his UFC 287 matchup opposite Kelvin Gastelum. He may have lost that middleweight scrap by unanimous decision, but Curtis did keep his 100 percent takedown defense rate intact, stopping all three of Gastelum’s attempts in the losing effort. With that, Curtis remains at the top of the UFC record book as the only fighter with the promotion, with at least five fights and 20 takedown attempts from their opponents, to have a perfect takedown defense rating. UFC stats also show that the second-best percentage goes to former UFC middleweight champion Kamaru Usman at 97.3 percent.
While Curtis held onto his UFC record, Israel Adesanya put his name in the annals of promotional history when he became the first two-time UFC middleweight champion. Adesanya, whose first title reign lasted from October 2, 2019, when he defeated Robert Whittaker via second-round KO, until November 12, 2022, when Alex Pereira knocked him out in the fifth round of their UFC 281 matchup, regained the promotion’s 185-pound strap with a second-round KO of Pereira.
UFC 287’s main card streamed on ESPN+ pay-per-view following prelims on ESPN and early prelims on ESPN+.
Below, we look at all the significant UFC stats for 2023.
2023 UFC stats: post-UFC 287
- Total Fights: 135
- Title Fights: 8
- Unanimous Decisions: 43
- Split Decisions: 16
- Majority Decisions: 5
- Majority Draws: 2
- KOs/TKOs: 34
- Submissions: 35
Types of Finishes
- Rear Naked Choke: 17
- Guillotine Choke after Drop to Guard: 2
- Arm Triangle from Half Guard: 2
- Triangle Choke from Bottom Guard: 2
- Guillotine Choke on Ground: 1
- Guillotine Choke from Bottom Guard: 1
- Kneebar on Ground: 1
- Arm Triangle from Mount: 1
- Arm Triangle on Ground: 1
- Armbar from Side Control: 1
- Triangle Armbar from Bottom Guard: 1
- Guillotine Choke from Half Guard: 1
- Guillotine Choke after Drop to Half Guard: 1
- Inverted Triangle from Bottom Side Control: 1
- Armbar from Mount: 1
- Neck Crank from Back Control: 1
Knockouts and Technical Knockouts
- Punch to Head at Distance: 10
- Punches to Head at Distance: 3
- Punches to Head on Ground: 3
- Elbows to Head from Mount: 2
- Doctor Stoppage: 2
- Punches to Head in Clinch: 2
- Punches to Body at Distance: 2
- Flying Knee to Head: 1
- Kick to Body at Distance: 1
- Knees to Body at Distance: 1
- Knees to Head in Clinch: 1
- Punches to Head from Back Control: 1
- Punches to Head from Guard: 1
- Punches to Head from Corner Stoppage: 1
- Punches to Head from Mount: 1
- Leg injury: 1
- Elbows to Head on Ground: 1
Fights by Weight Division
- Heavyweight: 9
- Light heavyweight: 11
- Middleweight: 15
- Welterweight: 15
- Lightweight: 19
- Featherweight: 15
- Women’s Featherweight: 1
- Bantamweight: 16
- Catchweight: 3
- Women’s bantamweight: 3
- Flyweight: 12
- Women’s Flyweight: 11
- Women’s strawweight: 5
UFC Stats Totals in 2023
- Total Knockdowns Landed: 41
- Total Submission Attempts: 94
- Total Reversals: 40
- Total Significant Strikes Attempted: 25,013
- Total Significant Strikes Landed: 11,983
- Total Significant Head Strikes Attempted: 18,657
- Total Significant Head Strikes Landed: 7,141
- Total Significant Body Strikes Attempted: 3,808
- Total Significant Body Strikes Landed: 2,759
- Total Significant Leg Strikes Attempted: 2,548
- Total Significant Leg Strikes Landed: 2,070
- Total Significant Distance Strikes Attempted: 21,892
- Total Significant Distance Strikes Landed: 9,648
- Total Significant Clinch Strikes Attempted: 1,846
- Total Significant Clinch Strikes Landed: 1,386
- Total Significant Ground Strikes Attempted: 1,275
- Total Significant Ground Strikes Landed: 940
- Total Strikes Attempted: 30,862
- Total Strikes Landed: 16,891
- Total Takedowns Attempted: 860
- Total Takedowns Landed: 300
Memorable UFC Stats in 2023
- Shortest Five-Round Fight: Jon Jones submits Ciryl Gane at 2:04 of Round 1 via guillotine choke at UFC 285.
- Shortest Three-Round Fight: Rinya Nakamura KOs Toshiomi Kazama at 0:33 of Round 1 via punch to head at distance at UFC Vegas 68.
- Latest Finish in a Three-Round Fight: Davey Grant submits Raphael Assuncao via inverted triangle from bottom side control at 4:43 of Round 3 at UFC Vegas 71.
- Most Takedowns Landed: Loik Radzhabov lands 11 takedowns on 21 attempts vs. Esteban Ribovics at UFC 285 and Merab Dvalishvili lands 11 takedowns on 49 attempts vs. Petr Yan (five round fight) at UFC Vegas 71.
- Most Submission Attempts: HyunSung Park three submission attempts against SeungGuk Choi, Jimmy Crute three submission attempts against Alonzo Menifield, Clayton Carpenter with three submission attempts vs. Juancamilo Ronderos, Joe Solecki with three submission attempts vs. Carl Deaton and Jaqueline Amorim with three submission attempts vs. Sam Hughes.
- Most Knockdowns Landed: Rinya Nakamura scores two knockdowns on Toshiomi Kazama , Alonzo Menifield scores two knockdowns on Jimmy Crute and Trevor Peek with two knockdowns vs. Erick Gonzalez.
- Most Significant Strikes Landed in a Three-Round Fight: Jessica Andrade lands 231 of 369 significant strike attempts in unanimous decision win over Lauren Murphy.
- Shutouts: Serghei Spivac prevents Derrick Lewis from landing any strikes or takedowns during their UFC Vegas 68 main event fight.
- First career UFC takedown: Justin Gaethje vs. Rafael Fiziev at UFC 268.
New UFC Stats records in 2023
- Jon Jones became the eighth double-champion in UFC history.
- Jon Jones broke his own UFC record with 15 title fight wins.
- Shavkat Rakhmonov became the first UFC welterweight to open his run with the promotion with five straight finishes.
- Jamahal Hill lands 232 significant strikes in a UFC light heavyweight fight for a new UFC LHW single-fight record. Hill defeated Glover Teixeira to by unanimous decision to win the UFC light heavyweight title.
- Jessica Andrade lands 231 significant strikes in a UFC women’s flyweight fight for a new UFC women’s flyweight record. Andrade defeated Lauren Murphy via unanimous decision.
- Jessica Andrade tied Amanda Nunes for most wins in women’s UFC history with her 15th victory with the promotion.
- Jim Miller participated in his 41st fight in the UFC. Andrei Arlovski is second to Miller with 39 UFC bouts.
- With his one submission attempt vs. Alexander Hernandez, Jim Miller has the most submission attempts in UFC history with 47. Charles Oliveira is second with 40 submission attempts.
- Jim Miller has 38 fights in the UFC lightweight division. Three other fighters: Clay Guida, Gleison Tibau and Joe Lauzon are tied for second with 27 fighters each.
- Jim Miller has 6:18:59 of UFC lightweight fight time. Clay Guida is second with 5:10:50.
- Jim Miller has 44 submission attempts in UFC lightweight fights. Joe Lauzon is second with 29.
- Erin Blanchfield has a control time percentage of 55.4 percent in UFC flyweight fights. Taila Santos is second with 46.3 percent.
- Erin Blanchfield has a top position percentage of 48.6 percent in UFC flyweight fights. Gillian Robertson is second at 41.9 percent.
- Erin Blanchfield averages 1.57 submissions per 15 minutes of UFC women’s flyweight fight time. Taila Santos is second at 1.5.
- Mayra Bueno Silva secures first kneebar submission in UFC women’s bantamweight history.
- Gunnar Nelson sets UFC welterweight record with seven career submission wins.
- Israel Adesanya ties Anderson Silva for most knockdowns in UFC middleweight history with 13.
Stats via UFC Stats
About the author