The UFC’s first PPV (pay-per-view) of 2023 has arrived. And with it come two title fights.
Rio de Janeiro is our host city this time around, with the promotion heading south to Brazil for the first time since March 2020. That event was the UFC’s first event behind closed doors, happening just as the world was beginning to grasp the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Brazilian fans will hope they don’t have to wait three years for the next card to visit their country. They’ll also be hoping a couple of heroes in Brazil will leave the Octagon with their hands raised.
The UFC 283 main event is Glover Teixeira taking on Jamahal Hill for the vacant UFC light heavyweight title. The co-main is Deiveson Figuiredo defending his UFC flyweight title against Brandon Moreno (a man he’s fought three times prior).
There is also Shogun Rua’s retirement fight on tap. He fights Ihor Poteria. Other fun match-ups on the card include Gilbert Burns vs. Neil Magny, Paul Craig vs. Johnny Walker and Gregory Rodrigues vs. Brunno Ferreira.
With two title fights on tap, that means four fighters will need to be very careful on the scales. If any of them are just an ounce over the limit they will lose their chance at being champion.
You can see how all that drama unfolds below. The live stream starts at 6:45 a.m ET.
Main card (10 p.m. ET on ESPN+ PPV):
- Light heavyweight championship: Glover Teixeira (205) vs. Jamahal Hill (204.5)
- Flyweight championship: Deiveson Figueiredo (125) vs. Brandon Moreno (125)
- Welterweight: Gilbert Burns (170) vs. Neil Magny (171)
- Flyweight: Lauren Murphy (125.5) vs. Jessica Andrade (125)
- Light heavyweight: Paul Craig (205) vs. Johnny Walker (205)
Prelim card (8 p.m. ET on ESPn/ESPN+/ABC):
- Light heavyweight: Mauricio Rua (205) vs. Ihor Potieria (205)
- Middleweight: Gregory Rodrigues (186) vs. Brunno Ferreira (185)
- Lightweight: Thiago Moises (155.5) vs. Melquizael Costa (155)
- Welterweight: Gabriel Bonfim (171) vs. Mounir Lazzez (170.5)
Early Prelims (6 p.m. ET on ESPN+):
- Heavyweight: Shamil Abdurakhimov (263) vs. Jailton Almeida (232)
- Lightweight: Ismael Bonfim (156) vs. Terrance McKinney (156)
- Welterweight: Warlley Alves (171) vs. Nicolas Dalby (170)
- Featherweight: Josiane Nunes (145.5) vs. Zarah Fairn dos Santos (146)
- Bantamweight: Luan Lacerda (136) vs. Cody Stamann (135.5)
- Bantamweight: Saimon Oliveira (136) vs. Daniel Marcos (136)
About the author: Tim Bissell is a writer, editor and deputy site manager for Bloody Elbow. He has covered combat sports since 2015. Tim covers news and events and has also written longform and investigative pieces. (full bio)
About the author