This week we are kinda sad to announce, Zane Simon is dead folks. Not to worry, we have a short notice guest host for this event, Dan Tom. For those who don’t already know Dan, he is an MMA Analyst with MMAJunkie.com, and the host of the ‘Protect Ya’ Neck Podcast’, which can be found on iTunes and YouTube. He will be stepping into Connor’s shoes, while Connor leads the show for a change – in the wake of Zane’s demise… he has mustered the will to carry on!
First of all, this card is just one more off-week card in what feels like years of off-week cards. But, if last week was a 2 out of 10, this week is a 9. Last week’s card was as low as we can go. But hey, this card isn’t as bad as all that. We have two guys who have recently both lost to Israel Adesanya, who are both pressure fighters, Paulo Costa and Marvin Vettori, headlining our main event. Plus, there are a couple of pretty solid matchups peppered on this card to keep it interesting, and maybe even exciting this week. Not to mention, this card starts earlier in the day than most of our Fight Night cards, which is always a nice change of pace.
To add to that, let’s just say the prelims are pleasantly surprising. The featured prelim is well-suited for this slot on the card. It is an exciting middleweight bout between ‘The Iron Turtle’ Jun Yong Park and Gregory ‘RoboCop’ Rodrigues. Park is coming into this bout on a three-fight win streak, has good wrestling skills, efficient boxing, a really decent jab and Rodrigues, the black belt, has decent wrestling as well, and a lot of defense training on how to respond to that jab and is on his own three-fight win streak.
For fans interested in digging into the undercard, check out the Prelims Vivi below.
The MMA Vivisection is brought to you by Combat Wombat, makers of combat sports themed artwork featuring MMA’s legendary fighters and legendary fights. Visit chrisrini.com for the latest pieces and commissions. Get your Combat Wombat themed Vivi t-shirts today! cottonbureau.com/products/dr-wombat
Here’s a look at the UFC Vegas 41 fight card, as it stands right now:
ESPN+ MAIN CARD | SAT. OCT 23rd. 4PM/1PM ETPT
14. 185 lbs – Paulo Costa (13-1) vs. Marvin Vettori (17-4) — At 4:53, Odds 15:49, Picks, Connor: Costa, Dan: Vettori
13. 155 lbs – Grant Dawson (17-1) vs. Ricky Glenn (22-6) — At 17:08, Odds 31:23, Picks, Both: Glenn
12. 135 lbs – Jessica-Rose Clark (10-6) vs. Joselyne Edwards (10-3) — At 33:06, Odds 43:05, Picks, Both: Clark
11. 145 lbs – Alex Caceres (18-12) vs. Seung Woo Choi (10-3) — At 45:09, Odds 53:26, Picks, Both: Choi
10. 170 lbs – Dwight Grant (11-3) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (26-8) — At 54:14, Odds 1:01:50, Picks, Both: Trinaldo
9. 205 lbs – Nick ‘Nicu’ Negumereanu (10-1) vs. Ike Villanueva (18-12) — At 1:04:20, Odds 1:14:16, Picks, Both: Villanueva
ESPN+ PRELIMS | 1PM/10AM ETPT
8. 185 lbs – Jun Yong Park (13-4) vs. Gregory Rodrigues (10-3) — At 3:43, Odds 19:13, Picks, Connor: Park, Dan: Rodriguez
7. 155 lbs – Mason Jones (10-1) vs. David Onama (8-0) — At 21:44, Odds 31:49, Picks, Both: Jones
6. 115 lbs – Tabatha Ricci (5-1) vs. Maria Oliveira (12-4) — At 33:57, Odds 38:09, Picks, Both: Ricci
5. 185 lbs – Laureano Staropoli (9-4) vs. Jamie Pickett (11-6) — At 39:07, Odds 48:05, Picks, Both: Staropoli
4. 155 lbs – Khama Worthy (16-8) vs. Jai Herbert (10-3) — At 49:09, Odds 55:23, Picks, Both: Herbert
3. 125 lbs – Jeff Molina (9-2) vs. Daniel Lacerda (11-1) — At 55:56, Odds 59:49, Picks, Both: Molina
2. 115 lbs – Livinha Souza (14-3) vs. Randa Markos (10-11) — At 1:00:27, Odds Skipped@1:03:19, Picks, Both: Souza | (-122) Souza vs. (+102) Markos – h/t MMA Mania
1. 135 lbs – Jonathan Martinez (13-4) vs. Zviad Lazishvili (12-0) — At 1:03:26, Odds Skipped@1:07:11, Picks, Both: Martinez | (+168) Martinez vs. (-210) Lazishvili – h/t bestfightodds.com
For those of you following the picks made on the show, we started tracking them with the July 13th, 2020 Vivisections for ‘Kattar vs. Ige’… Standings for our last event, UFC Vegas 40: Zane went 5 out of the 9 bouts they picked off this week’s card, Connor also went 5 out of those 9. So far, here are the overall standings: Zane is now 387/625 and Connor is now 378/625. *** Next week, there will be no updated odds, as this week’s picks are just for fun… so, Sorry Connor, they will NOT contribute to these standings — due to Zane’s absence from the show this week.
If you enjoy our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on whichever BE Presents Podcast Channel happens to be your listening platform of choice: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, TuneIn, OverCast, Player FM, & Amazon Music – While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
About the author