By beating Conor McGregor (again) at UFC 264 this past weekend Dustin Poirier earned a lightweight title shot versus Charles Oliveira. That’s expected to take place later this year.
In addition to a fight with ‘Do Bronx’ being on the horizon, Poirier has said that he feels a fourth fight with ‘Notorious’ is inevitable. After McGregor made sickening death threats towards Poirier (and his family), the American said he would like to see McGregor on the cage, or the sidewalk, some point down the line.
And now you can add a third fighter angling for bout with Poirier. Yesterday Nate Diaz challenged Poirier to “pull-up”. Although, the 209’s finest also signalled that he’d like them to fight in the UFC’s middleweight division.
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) July 16, 2021
Following a two year hiatus after his two fights with McGregor, Diaz was booked to face Poirier at UFC 230 in 2018. However, that fight was scrapped due to an injury to Poirier. Diaz was then matched up against Anthony Pettis, who he beat at UFC 241 in 2019. Poirier’s next bout after that cancelled booking was a unanimous decision win over Max Holloway for the interim UFC lightweight title.
According to Poirier’s twitter response it seems ‘The Diamond’ is willing to thrown down with Diaz, at “any weight”.
I’d touch you up at any weight
— The Diamond (@DustinPoirier) July 16, 2021
After Poirier beat Holloway he lost a title fight to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 242. Then, after beating Dan Hooker last year, he took his record against McGregor to 2-1.
Diaz recently lost to Leon Edwards at UFC 263. Before that, in November 2019, he lost to Jorge Masvidal due to a TKO (cut).
About the author