Tyron Woodley thinks his boxing match against Jake Paul will just be the start of his new venture into the sport.
It was announced last week that Woodley, a five-time UFC champion, would fight social media and Disney star turned professional boxer Paul in an eight-round boxing match. The two have already begun to promote the fight, facing off and trading barbs earlier this week at 5th St. Gym in Miami, Florida.
Talking recently to TMZ Sports, Woodley outlined his plans to have more boxing fights after his August 28 bout with Paul.
“I think I box some more,” Woodley said (h/t MMA Fighting). “I mean, s—t, I want to fight twice this year, so I’ll fight him August 28 and around November I’ll be ready to box again. I don’t know exactly who, when, where, what, how, but I know that me going out and really doing work is going to put me in a position to open up other windows.”
Woodley, 39, concluded his eight-year UFC career by losing four consecutive fights. That run saw Woodley be stopped by Vincente Luque and Colby Covington and lose decisions to Gilbert Burns and Kamaru Usman. Woodley’s last win came against Darren Till in September 2018.
“Who knows what’s next? This may open up the door for me taking some other fights at different weights,” Woodley said. “Fighting at 190 (pounds) and then having to go back to 170 (pounds) is like ‘agh’ because, you know, the amount of money I’m going to make for this fight is going to be quite different from some of the other UFC fights or even different promotions that want to do MMA fights. But if you want me to do MMA at 170, now the bag is stupid. The best thing that’s happened in the last 24 hours, I’m smiling that my market value is where it’s at. You won’t put me on the clearance rack. I won’t be on aisle nine.
“August 28, you’re gonna see (my time)’s not past and you’re gonna want to see more of it.”
About the author