Our compilation show is a deep dive with host, Trent Reinsmith, into the bigger news and goings on in MMA, both inside and outside the cage; presented with a critical, unbiased eye.
Here is some detail on what’s going on here… the “regular” ‘C’mon Now MMA Podcast’ is a daily podcast of varying lengths, which can be found here: cmonnow.substack.com/. This show, however, is a compilation of some of the best topics covered on the daily show over the past week.
This week’s “Best of” edition topics include:
1. Dana White vs. the facts and science of COVID-19 continues (and a lot more on this subject)
2. Dana White scolds MMA media for not holding him accountable for a single bonus. 1) That’s not the media’s job 2) The reason no one wants to hold White accountable on anything is fear. 3) Can we hold White accountable for other things as well…like health and safety, pay, etc… Also, what’s the criteria for a fight-night bonus?
3. Dana White wonders if fighters are competing so often these days because of COVID-19. C’mon now, he knows damn well, that’s why fighters are fighting back-to-back. He also knows these fight cards are nothing more than content for ESPN.
4. Miguel Baeza should tell UFC to pump the brakes and not over promote him. We’ve seen too many UFC promotional failures to trust the UFC.
5. UFC might not promote traditional “old guy” fights, but we know UFC promotes fights where fighters are past their sell-by dates.
6. One MMA media member gives Dana White a pat on the back because Saturday’s event was good. Perhaps that was true in hindsight, but if UFC puts a crap card together ahead of fight night, don’t expect fans to tune in.
7. Dana White says UFC can’t make Michael Chandler cut weight again so soon (10/24), but UFC can make two fighters who competed on 11/21 can fight again on 12/12? C’mon now…
8. Megan Anderson reveals how the sausage gets made re: fight information being “leaked” to ESPN MMA
9. UFC released Jussier Formiga. I doubt he’s going to be the last really good, but just short of great fighter to be released. Again, the quality of UFC events will keep dropping until the ratings take a dump. Don’t pledge blind allegiance to the UFC.
10. Sure, judging in MMA is a problem, but the bigger problem is the win/show pay. If fighters got a flat rate, they wouldn’t have to worry about a judge “costing” them. Point the finger at Dana White and the UFC and the stupid pay method, not the judging.
11. Khamzat Chimaev makes the UFC welterweight rankings and that doesn’t make sense.
12. I believe Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier will be for the interim UFC lightweight title.
13. It took some big balls from Dana White to go after Bob Arum. White is not a fight promoter. He promotes the UFC for the overlords at Endeavor and the investors. He does not promote the fighters.
14. Jon Jones’ ego won’t allow him to retire by 35 and probably not before he’s 40.
15. I think Dana White is overstating the odds of Khabib Nurmagomedov fighting again and I think White is doing that because he believes money matters to the UFC lightweight champ.
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on whichever BE Presents Podcast Channel happens to be your listening platform of choice: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM, & NOW AMAZON MUSIC! – While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
About the author