Two years ago, Brad Katona was undefeated and had just won The Ultimate Fighter season 27 featherweight tournament. So it was no surprise the Canadian was shocked having been shown the door by the UFC in February of this year.
Katona, 28, won himself a UFC contract back in 2018 after beating the likes of Kylar Philips and Bryce Mitchell during his time on “TUF 27”. After winning a decision against Matthew Lopez, Katona went on to lost decisions to Merab Dvalishvili and Hunter Azure in 2019 and was subsequently cut by the promotion.
“I don’t know what words I can use. Pretty much everything you could think of. I’ve said this before, I remember the day. It was a Tuesday, I just finished a jiu-jitsu practice that didn’t go very well, it was just one of those bad sessions,” Katona told BJPENN.com. “I go to the change rooms and I get a text from my manager and he found out earlier in the week. He wanted to talk to me when he got back. Unfortunately, they sent an e-mail out and he wanted the first contact to be him not me opening up my e-mail on an innocent Tuesday night. It was disappointing, it was ridiculous.”
“Superman” signed with the European promotion EMC in September and was expected to fight for the bantamweight title on Halloween, but the entire event was cancelled due to COVID-19. Sizing up his options, Katona said he fancies his changes in both the UFC and Bellator in the future.
“Like what do I do next, like do I try to get back with the UFC? Sign with Bellator? Is it go with Brave, KSW, or fight on the regional scene. What is the best course of action and it was a bit of a shock. If Bellator wants to offer me something, I know I stack up very well in that bantamweight division. If the UFC wants me after this, I fully believe that the guys I fought, I can succeed there as well.”
About the author