Plenty of fighters have called for the UFC to take disciplinary action against Jon Jones following the UFC light heavyweight champion’s latest arrest for drunk driving.
‘Bones’ was caught driving under the influence outside a strip club in Albuquerque earlier this year and received one year’s probation and four days of house arrest after reaching a plea deal with the Albuquerque police department.
Some fighters have called for Jones to be stripped of the light heavyweight title, but UFC president Dana White will be taking no such action.
Speaking to Brazilian MMA outlet Combate in a recent interview, White said there will be ‘no penalty’ on the UFC’s behalf and that he expects Jones to return to the Octagon ‘later this year’, pending coronavirus.
“I hope he’ll fight later this year,” Dana White said (h/t MMA Fighting). “For my part, there will be no penalty.”
Jones, who has a history of drunken offences, hasn’t fought since his controversial unanimous decision win over Dominick Reyes at UFC 247. Prior to that, the Jackson-Wink product defended his light heavyweight title after edging out a split decision win over Brazilian bomber Thiago Santos at UFC 239.
Jones, who is ranked #1 in the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings, would like to return to the UFC to defend his title against top-five UFC light heavyweight Jan Blachowicz next.
Now suddenly I’m afraid of a good dogfight? Pretty sure I walked him down for 25 minutes straight when we fought. One thing about being the champion of the world, you got to search for fresh meat on every soil. I’m feeling like popping some in Poland, haven’t had that yet. pic.twitter.com/frnLyFUkN1
— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) April 18, 2020
About the author