Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show, featuring a look back at UFC 40: Vendetta, with Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock 1 and Chuck Liddell vs. Renato Sobral 1, from 2002. This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado & Victor Rodriguez of Bloody Elbow as they relive this UFC PPV (Pay-per-view) event this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
On November 22nd, 2002, UFC 40: Vendetta, a small eight-fight PPV card, chock full of finishes (6 of the 8 happened in the first round) with NO decisions on the card, went down from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
So, the main event that night showcased a Light Heavyweight title fight. The Huntington Beach Badboy Tito Ortiz, was coming off a long line of wins via Unanimous Decision, including Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC 33, with a 10-1 professional record and was entering the octagon against fellow American and MMA veteran, Ken ‘The World’s Most Dangerous Man’ Shamrock, who had a professional record of 25-7, but was coming into the fight off a loss via Split Decision against Don Frye in a Pride 19 bout. In hindsight, we know Shamrock would only win three more bouts in his professional career, as this was just one of many losses he had to face before retirement after a loss to Royce Gracie in 2016. In the co-main event we had Chuck ‘The Iceman’ Liddell, with an impressive 11-1 record, beating his opponent, Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral that night via KO/TKO-Head Kick in just 2:55 of Round 1, despite his storied 20-4 record.
Also that night, we had our main card opener which showcased a young Robbie Lawler decimating Tiki Ghosn with a KO/TKO via Punches at just 1:29 of Round 1 and an exciting battle in the featured Prelim bout between Andrei Arlovski and Ian Freeman.
Let’s take a look at the card, complete with fight results:
- MAIN EVENT: Tito Ortiz DEF. Ken Shamrock by KO/TKO-Corner Stoppage at 5:00 of Rd 3 out of 5, Total 15:00 – 205 lbs
- Co-Main: Chuck Liddell DEF. Renato Sobral via KO/TKO-Head Kick at 2:55 of Rd 1 – 205 lbs
- Matt Hughes DEF. Gil Castillo via KO/TKO-Cut at 5:00 of Rd 1 – 170 lbs
- Carlos Newton DEF. Pete Spratt via SUB-Kimura at 1:45 of Rd 1 – 170 lbs
- Robbie Lawler DEF. Tiki Ghosn via KO/TKO-Punches at 1:29 of Rd 1 – 170 lbs
- Andrei Arlovski DEF. Ian Freeman via KO/TKO-Punches at 1:29 of Rd 1 – 265 lbs
- Vladimir Matyushenko DEF. Travis Wiuff via SUB-Punches at 4:10 of Rd 1 – 265 lbs
- Phillip Miller DEF. Mark Weir via SUB-Rear Naked Choke at 4:50 of Rd 2, Total 9:50 – 185 lbs
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
About the author