Welcome to the 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show, featuring UFC 53 ‘Heavy Hitters’. This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado and Vic Rodriguez of Bloody Elbow as they relive UFC 53 this week, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
On June 4th, 2005, UFC 53, ‘Heavy Hitters’, an eight-fight card, chock full of finishes with only one decision on the entire card went down from Trump’s Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. This was a great card, which featured the classic commentating talent of Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan.
So, the main event that night showcased Heavyweight, Andrei ‘The Pitbull’ Arlovski, who had won five of his total of seven UFC fights at the time. He had only lost to Pedro Rizzo and Ricco Rodriguez in 2001 & 2002, meaning he was on a four-fight winning streak. Arlovski was up against an up-and-comer in Justin Eilers, who came into the octagon for his third UFC bout that evening, off a loss to Paul Buentello just a few months earlier in February. Arlovski would continue his win-streak, defeating Eilers via KO/TKO – Punches at just 4:10 into Round 1.
Also on the card, the co-main event featured Rich ‘Ace’ Franklin, who was on his seventh UFC fight, coming off an exciting win over Ken Shamrock on The Ultimate Fighter 1 Finale that April. He was rematching the more experienced Evan Tanner, who was on a four-fight win streak; despite that success he still succumbed to Ace via a KO/TKO – Doctor Stoppage at 3:25 in Round 4 out of 5. In addition to that brutal finish, we saw Forrest Griffin swiftly submit Bill Mahood in only 2:18 of Round 1 with a slick Rear Naked Choke, and the opening prelim bout back in ‘05 featured the other Diaz brother (LOL)… Nick Diaz, devastating Koji Oishi with a KO/TKO via Punches at just 1:24 of Round 1.
- MAIN: Andrei Arlovski DEF. Justin Eilers by KO/TKO (Punches) at 4:10 of Round 1 of 5: Heavyweight (non-title match)
- Karo Parisyan DEF. Matt Serra via Unanimous Decision: Welterweight
- Co-Main: Rich Franklin DEF. Evan Tanner by Doctor Stoppage (KO/TKO) at 3:25 of Round 4 out of 5: Middleweight
- Forrest Griffin DEF. Bill Mahood by submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:18 of round 1 of 3: Light Heavyweight
- Paul Buentello DEF. Kevin Jordan by submission (Guillotine Choke) at 4:00 of round 1 of 3: Heavyweight
- Nate Quarry DEF. Shonie Carter by KO/TKO (Punches) at 2:37 of round 1 of 3: Middleweight
- David Loiseau DEF. Charles McCarthy by KO/TKO (Spinning Back Kick) at 2:10 of round 2 of 3: Middleweight
- Nick Diaz DEF. Koji Oishi by KO/TKO (Punches) at 1:24 of round 1 of 3: Welterweight
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
About the author