Welcome to The 6th Round Retro Post-Fight Show, featuring UFC 50 ‘The War of ‘04’. This is the show that digs into the archives and gives you a comprehensive review of classic MMA events, that span as far back as UFC 1. Join Eddie Mercado and Vic Rodriguez of Bloody Elbow as they relive UFC 50, complete with results, analysis, and of course a few laughs.
On October 22, 2004, UFC 50, a seven-fight card, went down from the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, New Jersey. This was approximately six months before the fight that basically changed everything for the UFC at the time, which was Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar — we are talking right before the UFC really took off, the era pre-dating Reebok, USADA, Five-Round Main-Events… before title fights were mandatory Main Events, among several other pivotal things!
So, the main event that night showcased none-other-than ‘The Huntington Beach Bad Boy’, Mr. Tito Ortiz, who was just coming off a two-fight losing streak against the likes of Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture; Tito had only lost 4 fights in his total fourteen bouts in the UFC, at that time. He was up against an up-and-comer in Patrick ‘The Predator’ Cote, who came into the octagon for his UFC debut that evening on a five-fight winning streak, undefeated in his career with TKO Major League MMA; who stepped in when Guy Mezger was scratched due to ‘Stroke Symptoms’ at the last minute.
Also on the card, the co-main event featured Matt Hughes, who was carrying a ton of wins under his belt, who took on AND defeated the legendary, Georges St. Pierre; via an armbar submission, at just 4:59 into Round 1 of 5. In addition to that quick finish, we saw Rich Franklin battle it out against Jorge Rivera for 14:28 minutes in a three round bout — with ‘Ace’ snagging a slick armbar submission for a finish near the very end against ‘El Conquistador’.
- MAIN: Tito Ortiz DEF. Patrick Cote by Unanimous Decision after three rounds: Light Heavyweight (non-title match)
- Rich Franklin DEF. Jorge Rivera by submission (Armbar) at 4:28 of round 3, 14:28 total: Middleweight
- Co-Main: Matt Hughes DEF. Georges St.-Pierre by submission (Armbar) at 4:59 of round 1: Welterweight
- Frank Trigg DEF. Renato Verissimo by KO/TKO (Elbows) at 2:11 of round 2: Welterweight
- Evan Tanner DEF. Robbie Lawler by submission (Triangle Choke) at 2:22 of round 1: Middleweight
- Ivan Salaverry DEF. Tony Fryklund by submission (Body Lock) at 1:36 of round 1: Middleweight
- Travis Lutter DEF. Marvin Eastman by KO/TKO (Punch) at 0:43 of round 2: Light Heavyweight
If you enjoyed our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on one of our other BE Presents Channels: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM – whichever one happens to be your listening platform of choice. While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.
About the author