Well, it’s official. UFC veteran Chad Mendes has retired from MMA.
Reports surfaced earlier this year that Mendes had decided to retire after his knockout loss to Alexander Volkanovski at UFC 232 and, speaking to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto in a recent interview, the former two-time featherweight title challenger confirmed that, after taking time to reflect on his career, he has decided to hang up the gloves and step away from the Octagon for good.
Chad Mendes has informed ESPN he is officially retired from mixed martial arts.
“I wanted to step away for a little bit and let everything settle, just make sure my feelings didn’t change. And they haven’t. It’s just that time for me. I have no regrets. I had an amazing time.” pic.twitter.com/Ax1YPoYOIt
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) July 10, 2019
“I wanted to step away for a little bit and let everything settle, just make sure my feelings didn’t change. And they haven’t,” Mendes told ESPN. “It’s just that time for me. I have no regrets. I had an amazing time.”
Mendes’ longtime manager and friend, Jeff Meyer, said that it has been a privilege and an honor to work with the Team Alpha Male product over the course of his memorable eleven-year career.
“I had the privilege and honor to work with Chad during his MMA career from start to finish,” Meyer said in a statement sent to MMA Fighting on Tuesday. “Over the last 11 years, Chad has become one of my closest friends.”
Meyer believes Mendes has made the right decision to retire and looks forward to seeing progress in his clients’ hunting and fishing expedition business, Finz and Feathers.
“I am very happy that he is retiring on his own terms, following a stellar career, to pursue his next adventure with Finz & Featherz Guide Service and as a new father.”
Mendes, 34, retires with a professional record of 18-5 and, despite never winning a UFC title, will likely be remembered as one of the best featherweights in the world.
About the author