On March 10, 2006, Scott Coker launched a new promotion called Strikeforce, with its inaugural event being headlined with Frank Shamrock knocking out Cesar Gracie in 21 seconds. The event also showcased a lot of familiar faces, such as the third pro MMA fight in the career of Nate Diaz, the pro MMA debut for Cung Le, and even had Clay Guida winning the lightweight belt by beating Josh Thomson. In another notable moment, martial arts legend Chuck Norris was the one who awarded Guida with the belt. Guida should be so lucky.
Other familiar faces on the card include Gilbert Melendez, Mike Kyle, Brian Ebersole, and even Eugene Jackson. Join Bloody Elbow’s own Eddie Mercado and Vic Rodriguez as they take a look back in time to revisit the exciting and historic event that was Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Gracie on the 6th Round Retro post-fight show. Watch the video above to catch the recap.
Be sure to subscribe to MMA NATION on YouTube and itunes, and check us out on SoundCloud as well.
- Frank Shamrock def. Dear Gracie by KO at :21 of round 1: Middleweight
- Cung Le def. Mike Altman by KO at 3:51 of round 1: Middleweight
- Clay Guida def. Josh Thomson by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-45 x2): Lightweight Title
- Eugene Jackson def. Jorge Ortiz by unanimous decision: Middleweight
- Mike Kyle vs. Krzysztof Soszynski ended in a technical draw at 2:02 of round 1: Heavyweight
- Brian Ebersole def. Matt Horwich by unanimous decision: Light Heavyweight
- Daniel Puder def. Jesse Fujarczyk by submission (RNC) at 1:54 of round 1: Heavyweight
- Gilbert Melendez def. Harris Sarmiento by TKO at :44 of round 2: Lightweight
- Crafton Wallace def. Ray Routh by KO at :35 of round 2: Middleweight
- Nate Diaz def. Tony Juarez by TKO at 3:23 of round 1: 165 pounds
- Scott Graham def. Chris Lee by submission (RNC) at 2:37 of round 2: Heavyweight
About the author