Note to Jorge Masvidal: Michael Bisping is just not that interested.
Masvidal, a top-ten UFC welterweight contender, has had a bone to pick with Bisping ever since the Brit ripped up the Cuban flag and threw it at Yoel Romero’s corner at UFC 213.
Since then, ‘Gamebred’ has had run-ins with Bisping backstage and posted screenshots of their back-and-forth private messages on Instagram.
Prediction: Gets offered the fight turns it down Prediction 2: All corny welterweights start calling on thy name ……….. 1. I know a lot of you fighters grew up watching me. STOP trying to be me you know who you are…. this is to ww’s in particular 2. Stop being #corny 3. Enjoy this little #gem between me and @mikebisping #BackyardstoBrightLights #gamebred #realisback
Bisping, the former UFC middleweight champion, wants to make it clear to Masvidal that he has absolutely no interest in any kind of grudge match and told the ‘little prick’ to stop acting like a ‘teenager’ on social media.
“He was messaging me a ton of abuse so I gave him a bit of sh*t back and then at the end I just said, ‘Listen, I’m not interested in this. This is ridiculous,” Bisping said on a recent edition of his podcast, Believe You Me (h/t Jed Meshew of MMA Fighting). I can’t remember how I worded it but I said, ‘This is a two-way street, you started this, I’m not interested in this anymore. I’m not going back and forth, if you want t keep it up, you’re on your own.’
“Obviously, when you were reading that, the whole thing sounds very, very juvenile. He sent one, I responded. He sent something back, then I responded. Then he carried it on and I’m like, listen, I can’t do this. I’m not acting like a teenager sending insulting messages back and forth over bloody Instagram. I’m almost 40 years old! So that’s why I said if you want to keep this up, you’re on your own. I’m not interested, you’re nothing to me, and that was that. And then the little prick takes a screenshot and posts it on Instagram.”
While Masvidal believes he got the better of Bisping in the online exchange, ‘The Count’ said he has no time to waste arguing on social media with ‘some piece of trash from Florida’.
“I think he thinks in his mind that because I ‘backed down,’ – basically, acted like an adult and said, ‘Listen, f*ck this, I’m done, I don’t need to do this – he thinks that that was me cowering to him and shying away from confrontation and being, as he would say, a little b*tch. No. It’s me being a grown-ass man, nearly 40 years old, and not arguing with some piece of trash from Florida. I’m not doing it. You’re on your own bud.”
Bisping, 38, lost his middleweight title to Georges St-Pierre last month and was subsequently knocked out by Kelvin Gastelum in the follow-up bout at UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai, China.
Bisping has strongly hinted that his next bout will be his last, and the MMA veteran hopes to fight at next year’s UFC London Fight Night card on March 17.
About the author