UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has been in news headlines for the past few days, but for unpleasant reasons. He is currently facing a lawsuit filed by 19-year-old Antonio Georgakopoulos, stemming from an alleged choking incident that happened at a 24-hour fitness gym last July in Anaheim, California.
In his suit, the teenager claimed that Bisping “grabbed him by the throat and began to squeeze”, and was about to lose consciousness, if not for another weight lifter’s intervention to break them up. According to Georgakopoulos, it all began when Bisping “went crazy for taking his weights without asking.”
During the UFC 217 media lunch on Thursday, Bisping finally spoke up about the incident, and he seems unbothered by it all.
“Total bollocks. There’s your comment,” Bisping said (via MMA Fighting).
“I haven’t even been served with papers. They’re suing the UFC, they’re suing 24-Hour Fitness, they’re suing William Morris Endeavor, they’re suing Michael Bisping. So good luck with that. It’s completely infactual.
“From what I’ve read about it so far, there’s many, many contradictions,” Bisping continued. “Obviously, it’s a lawsuit, so I don’t want to say too much, but I can just say I’m not losing too much sleep and it’s not correct.”
Bisping also questioned the timing of the suit’s filing, as it all came about just a week before his second title defense against Georges St-Pierre.
“It happened months ago. It seems very, very tactical.” Bisping said. “‘Oh, let’s bring it out a week before the biggest fight of his life.’ Bring some attention to it, perhaps. Look for a settlement. I’m already saying too much. Good job.”
Bisping vs. St-Pierre will headline UFC 217 on November 4th at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
About the author