Submission Radio returns this week with a PACKED episode, featuring interviews with Stephen Thompson, Tony Ferguson, Conor McGregor’s coach Owen Roddy, Jason Parillo and Matt Morea AKA the “Tie Guy” from the UFC 205 press conference. Also, Simon Head breaks down UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs. Dodson and previews UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2, and Jeremy Botter gives his take on Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez and Jose Aldo’s subsequent alleged retirement.
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
– Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson returns (at the 1:27:42 mark) to discuss:
- His fight against Tyron Woodley at UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor
- Where he was and how he found out that he finally got the welterweight title shot
- What it was like coming face to face with Tyron at the UFC 205 press conference and what he saw in Tyron’s eyes
- The New York crowd booing Woodley and chanting his name
- His dad and Tyron going at it on twitter
- Woodley claiming that his humbleness is fake and that he doesn’t respect him as a man
- Overcoming Tyron’s wrestling and how he sees himself beating Tyron
- Being on the same card as New York Middleweight Chris Weidman and stealing Weidman’s belt
- Thoughts on Conor McGregor jumping the queue to get a lightweight title shot
- Who he’ll give the next title shot to and lots more!
– Conor McGregor’s longtime striking coach and former Cage Contender champion Owen Roddy jumps on (at the 4:24 mark) to talk about:
- The fight between Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205
- When he found out about the bout and why it took so long to announce
- The rumors of Conor’s leg injury
- If there was pressure to face Jose Aldo instead and Jose requesting his UFC release
- How he thinks Alvarez handled Conor’s verbal attack and mental warfare at the UFC 205 press conference
- Alvarez compared to Conor’s past opponents
- Overcoming Eddie’s wrestling
- The difference in traning Conor for Alvarez as opposed to Diaz
- Why he doesn’t believe the fight will last long
- McGregor at lightweight and if he’ll ever go back down to featherweight
- John Kavanagh’s idea for an all-coach season of The Ultimate Fighter
- Why he looks back fondly on the feud with Team Diaz and more!
– Tony Ferguson returns to the program (at the 31:16 mark) to discuss:
- His fight against Rafael dos Anjos
- What a win does for him in the crowded UFC lightweight division
- His thoughts on Conor McGregor challenging Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title at UFC 205
- Who he thinks wins
- Why super fights don’t interest him
- How he plans on beating the former UFC lightweight champion
- If he thinks the KO loss to Alvarez will play a factor in dos Anjos’ mind
- Why he believes Michael Johnson will expose Khabib Nurmagomedov
- If he wants to rematch Micheal Johnson and avenge his loss
- Building his brand new training facility
- Why he doesn’t want any labels owning him
- His reflection on his fight against Lando Vannata
- What it means to him to fight in Mexico City and lots more!
– Jason Parillo returns (at the 1:00:43 mark) to talk about:
- Michael Bisping fighting Dan Henderson at UFC 204
- How he keeps Michael from getting too emotional in the fight
- Training Michael while he’s filming another movie
- His thoughts on Dan Henderson’s skills these days
- Cris Cyborg’s win over Lina Lansberg and the brutal weight cut to 140
- Jason’s concerns over how the cut affects Cyborg’s performance and if he would like to see a women’s 145lb division added
- Dana White saying Ronda Rousey 100% wants Cris Cyborg
- If there’s an expiration date on the Cyborg/Rousey super fight and lots more!
– Matt Morea AKA “The Tie Guy” from the UFC 205 press conference makes a fun appearance on the show (at the 50:16 mark) to reflect on the question that shook up the press conference and the events surrounding it.
– Simon Head (The Sun.co.uk) makes his first appearance on SR (at the 1:50:24 mark) to discuss UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs. Dodson and preview UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2.
– Jeremy Botter (FloSports) returns (at the 1:33:07 mark) to discuss UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor, what he thinks of the fight finally coming together and why it took so long to announce, McGregor getting the lightweight title shot and if it warrants not rematching Jose Aldo for the featherweight belt, Aldo’s request for release from the UFC and alleged retirement, if the UFC can afford to release the former featherweight king, the behind-the-scenes relationship between Conor McGregor and Dana White, how he sees the fight between Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez going, who the better trash talker is out of Chael Sonnen and Conor McGregor, and more!
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn and Soundcloud.
About the author