Alexei Auld is back with a brand new book available 7 Secret Sources of Inspiration: A Snappy Guide for Creative Procrastinators to grill Eugene S. Robinson (who’s pushing a GoFundMe to pay for the new Oxbow album) and myself with some PR stumpers from the world of combat sports.
For the audio only version check us out on SoundCloud and be sure to subscribe to MMA NATION on iTunes and subscribe to MMA Nation on YouTube so you’ll never miss an episode.
Today’s puzzlers include:
- At 0:35 – You’re suspended UFC fighter Jon Jones. Bloody Elbow revealed that you and your management team are facing a lawsuit from a fight fan for “concealment, negligent misrepresentation, and negligence” over your drug-test dropout from UFC 200’s main event. This comes off the heels of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier telling ESPN’s Five Rounds Podcast that he and Light Heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson have “both been burned before” by your prior fight cancellations “and it’s hard to really trust (you) in that sense.” With your new WME-IMG owners watching, do you need to please, allow, and introduce yourself to damage control? Or just let the haters hate?
- At 6:15 – You’re NFL’s San Francisco 49ers. Your quarterback Colin Kaepernick has a new pre-game ritual: Refusing to stand for the National Anthem to protest police brutality. According to an NFL.com report, a meeting left players “feeling unified as a team, while still having their individual beliefs.” While you appear content with the Kaepernick kumbaya, what’s your PR plan for his patriotic petulance?
- At 13:28 – You’re Hillary Clinton. According to the New York Post, former Democratic congressman Anthony Weiner, the husband and “stay at home cad” of your top aide Huma Abedin is embroiled in his third sexting scandal. And this time, the little Weiner in the picture is his toddler son…covered in a blanket next to his daddy’s bulging boxer briefs. Is it enough that Huma announced her separation from Weiner, or are there any additional moves you need to make to prevent this family affair from resuscitating memories of Monica?
- At 24:42 – You’re a French Mayor who banned the Burkini. France’s highest administrative court suspended a decree against full-body swimsuits issued by the mayor of Villeneuve-Loubet on the Côte d’Azur. As a result, you have a choice to withdraw your decree or risk rankling your local courts and human rights organizations. Since you are ‘the man’, do you stand by your ban?
- At 29:58 – You’re McDonald’s. The hashtag McChicken is trending on Twitter because of some mother-clucker who’s loving it…with his pecker, in a viral video. What PR moves do you make in wake of this fowl predicament?
- At 35:08 – TEACHABLE MOMENT: You’re Mylan NV. Last week, outrage erupted over your price gouging EpiPen, the only lifesaving auto-injector allergy treatment on the market, at six hundred dollars…six times its original cost to consumers. Your response? Offering out of pocket price reductions for some patients while keeping the six-hundred dollar price tag. It wasn’t enough, so you announced a generic version of the treatment…for just triple the original price. Not enough, according to MSNBC, which cites Bernstein analyst Ronny Gal, “We suspect Mylan will continue to receive some heat for its price increases and there will be heightened pressure on FDA to bring competition to the market.” What can we learn, being in no place for beginners or sensitive hearts? No place to be ending, but somewhere to start?
- At 40:37 – EUGENE’S LOST BATTALION
About the author