After taking a month off to cover international fight week and travel overseas, Submission Radio finally returns with another action-packed episode! This week’s show features interviews with Pat Miletich, Nate Diaz’s boxing coach Richard Perez, coach Mike Winkeljohn and UFC 201 winner Damien Brown. Also, Kacper and Denis break down UFC Fight Night: Caceres vs. Rodriguez and explore Tyron Woodley’s options as the new UFC welterweight champion.
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
– The UFC’s first ever welterweight champion Pat Miletich, returns to the show (at the 53:17 mark) to discuss:
- The current state of the UFC welterweight division
- Tyron Woodley knocking out Robbie Lawler to become the new UFC welterweight champion
- Who’s next for Tyron and the possibilities of Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz returning
- How a Diaz/Woodley fight would play out
- Where those fights leave #1 contender Stephen Thompson
- What Wonderboy needs to do to get more popular and get pushed
- Why Pat thinks Nate Diaz will hurt Conor McGregor in their rematch at UFC 202
- If Conor McGregor can still have success at welterweight
- How training for a 100 mile run affects the body and also the mental barriers that Pat has to overcome
- Pat’s new podcast and more!
– Nate Diaz’s boxing coach Richard Perez returns (at the 1:24:05 mark) to talk about:
- The rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor at UFC 202
- His reaction to the bout finally being made and why Nate should be paid more
- The lack of trash talk in the lead up to this fight
- Nate’s motivation this time around considering Nate already beat McGregor
- Nate’s recent media schedule and appearance on Conor O’Brien
- Nate’s mindset of always expecting to get knocked out in fights
- Why Nate felt played by the UFC
- The Vegas betting odds and his shock that McGregor is the favourite
- How different this camp has been to the one prior to UFC 196
- What he’s expecting from Conor and if they’ve brought in sparring partners to emulate McGregor
- If he sees this rematch playing out longer than the first fight
- Nick Diaz’s potential return and fight against Tyron Woodley
- Nick’s claims that he was drugged prior to his fight against GSP, and lots more.
– Coach Mike Winkeljohn returns (at the 4:26 mark) to discuss:
- Jon Jones being pulled from UFC 200 and what his reaction was
- How the public have reacted and judged Jon
- What happens next and if Jon can still come back in his prime
- Chael Sonnen’s accusations about Jon hiding under a cage to avoid USADA
- Holly Holm’s upset loss to Valentina Shevchenko and what went wrong
- If there’s regrets about taking the fight
- Holm’s mindset after losing her title and back to back losses
- What’s next for Holly and if a fight against Cris Cyborg is out of the question
- Mike’s thoughts on the women’s bantamweight division and who deserves the next title shot against Amanda Nunes
- Donald Cerrone and if he’ll fight Eddie Alvarez again to become the UFC lightweight champion, and lots more.
– Damien Brown makes his first appearance on Submission Radio (at the 24:33 mark) to discuss:
- His big KO win at UFC 201
- The bread party he had afterwards and his past as a baker
- How his first ever training camp affected his performance
- His regular job and working at a jail as a prison officer
- What people may not know about working in prisons and dealing with inmates
- Why he was forced to leave the Australian Army
- His original goals of simply making it to the UFC and how they’ve recently been updated
- Why he wants to fight Sage Northcutt next, and lots more.
– Kacper and Denis quickly dive into the action of UFC: Salt Lake City at (1:51:25) and discuss the key fights, and (at the 2:17:12 mark) discuss what to do with the UFC welterweight division and who make the most sense as Tyron Woodley’s first title defence.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn and Soundcloud.
About the author