Submission Radio is back with the most packed show ever! This week’s episode features interviews with Ariel Helwani, Gunnar Nelson, Hector Lombard, Max Holloway, Chris Van Heerden ,and Robin Black helps break down all the action from UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Garbrandt.
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
– Ariel Helwani makes his first ever and long overdue appearance (at the 45:01 mark) to discuss:
- His recent in-depth interview with Nate Diaz and what the UFC should do with the Stockton native
- If Diaz should be getting the same treatment as Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey
- What the UFC should do with Conor McGregor next and if the Diaz rematch is the only fight that makes sense
- If the UFC will let Conor attempt to hold two belts simultaneously or if it’s not worth their trouble
- Colin Cowherd claiming that the McGregor/Mayweather fight will happen on September 17th
- The new weight-cutting rules that come into effect at UFC 200 and if they will put an end to McGregor’s time at featherweight
- Why collective bargaining would ideally have been implemented when introducing these new rules
- BJ Penn being flagged by USADA and pulled from UFC 199, and lots more.
– Gunnar Nelson returns (at the 1:29:12 mark) to discuss:
- His recent win over Albert Tumenov
- The high pace and high-pressure style that he’s recently been working on
- Tyron Woodley getting the title shot against Robbie Lawler at UFC 201
- Why he doesn’t think Woodley can beat Lawler and become welterweight champ
- Who should get the next title shot out of Demian Maia and Stephen Thompson
- The rumors of Conor McGregor fighting Floyd Mayweather and if it will happen
- Why he’d prefer to get rid of gloves in MMA and why he never wraps his hands before a fight
- The new weight cutting rules that the UFC have implemented and what it means for his division
- Snow mobile adventures and the time John Kavanagh thought he was going to die, and plenty more.
– Hector Lombard returns to Submission Radio (at the 1:07:14 mark) to talk about:
- His upcoming fight against Dan Henderson at UFC 199
- The history between him and Dan that dates back to the Team Quest days
- Why he considers Henderson to be a fake person
- Why Dan has been talking about retirement for years but has never actually done it
- His move back up to middleweight and why he believes he’ll fair better this time
- What the brutal weigh cut to welterweight did to his body
- Getting dizzy when he was landing offense on Neil Magny and how his body failed him
- Wanting to go all the way up to light heavyweight so he can beat up Tim Boetsch
- Needing to get some wins in Australia, and more.
– Max Holloway jumps on (at the 24:49 mark) to talk about:
- His upcoming fight against Ricardo Lamas at UFC 199
- The messy state of the featherweight division and the UFC title not being defended
- Ricardo claiming that his wrestling will be the difference maker
- Max’s thoughts on Ricardo’s striking
- His winning streak and wanting to fight names like Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar and Conor McGregor
- What fighting in Hawaii would mean to him
- His YouTube channel and playing video games on Twitch, and more.
– Chris Van Heerden makes his first appearance on the show (at the 3:23 mark) to discuss:
- His recent boxing sparring session with Conor McGregor at Box N Burn gym
- What McGregor was doing there in the first place and if he knew who the featherweight champ was
- What he took from the session and how he rates McGregor’s skills
- How McGregor would do if he transitioned to boxing
- McGregor’s chances in a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather
- Why he still thinks Conor should take the fight and if he’d be interested in training Conor for the Floyd
- How he sees a rematch against Nate Diaz playing out and if Conor has the skills to beat the Stockton native
- If they’ll train again in the future
- His own career and moving his life from South Africa to America
- Fighting in Madison Square Garden and becoming an inspiring role model, and more.
– Robin Black of The Fight Network returns to the program to lend his expert analysis and break down UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Garbrandt (at the 2:03:47 mark)
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn and Soundcloud.
Subscribe to Submission Radio on Youtube
About the author