Once again Alexei Auld is back to grill Eugene S. Robinson, author of Fight: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Ass-Kicking but Were Afraid You’d Get Your Ass Kicked for Asking and myself with some PR stumpers from the world of combat sports.
Today’s puzzlers include:
- You’re Ronda Rousey. Everyone is pointing the finger as to why you lost. Your coach. The IV ban. Your boyfriend. Your abandonment of judo. Your deluded belief in your boxing skills. How do you handle the PR fallout from your loss? Finger pointing, business as usual, or come to Jesus moment?
- You’re Holly Holm. Before the fight you’d generally avoided the press. Now you’re famous. If you play your cards right you too could possibly become a star. Do you go for it? If so, how?
- You’re Dana White. You have a new champ who beat your ‘baddest woman on the planet’. Do you write off Holm as a milquetoast, kinder, gentler, Larry Holmes or do you try to build her brand?
- You’re Edmond Tarverdyan. Everyone heard your awful cornering during the fight. Suddenly everything Ronda’s mom said about you pre-fight echoes with credibility. How do you handle it? Do you bring in real coaches to try to keep Ronda in your gym or just await the inevitable?
- Electronic Arts. Do you promote your game with a fallen champ on the cover or find a replacement?
- Travis Browne
- Miesha Tate.
TEACHABLE MOMENT: You’re Gina Carano. You were the undefeated golden child of WMMA before Cyborg Justino derailed your streak with a brutal first round TKO. You moved on to Hollywood and only flirted with returning after Ronda Rousey threatened your spot. With Ronda’s loss, you posted a congratulatory tweet to Holly Holm with the hashtag “INSPIRED”. Is now the time to come back to MMA and reclaim your spot or do you stay in Hollywood?
EUGENE’S LOST BATTALION: Bryan Caraway? Bigfoot Silva?
And much much more!
All about Alexei Auld: He’s on Twitter: @alexeiauld He’s got a web site: alexeiauld.com. He’s written books: Tonto Canto Pocahontas and Billionaire Secrets of a Wanglorious Bastard.
As always if you enjoy this sort of gum flapping, subscribe to the MMA Nation YouTube channel. Subscribers are the only ones who can watch us shoot these things live.
Check out the audio-only version on SoundCloud, and don’t forget to subscribe to MMA Nation on iTunes.
Let us know what you think of the show!
About the author