Another installment of the infamous and patened Care/Don’t Care UFC Preview has arrived. Eugene S. Robinson, author of Fight: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Ass-Kicking but Were Afraid You’d Get Your Ass Kicked for Asking, is Kid Nate’s counterpart for this edition.
As always if you enjoy this sort of gum flapping, subscribe to the MMA Nation YouTube channel. Subscribers are the only ones who can watch us shoot these things live.
If you have issues with the video embed here you can always watch it on YouTube.
Please note that the “care/don’t care preview” is in no way intended to disrespect the fighters in question and is merely our attempt to evaluate the marketing efforts on behalf of said fighters by the UFC and their management.
Today Kid Nate and Eugene discuss:
- The interminable UFC Fight Night 36 and Eugene’s indifference to chess as a spectator sport
- Nate nails the “Author of Fight….” intro but only about 10 mins into the show
- Nate teases an anecdote about a brawl he once saw in a Whattaburger parking lot in Amarillo, Texas
- Erik Koch, the late NYC mayor Ed Koch, the Koch brothers and various ways to pronounce Koch, all of which Nate botches.
- Jessica Eye’s epic PR bungles and how it’s ironically transformed her into a fighter we care about, plus blood thinners as PEDs or analgesics, plus pot, reefer, the demon weed, and how to turn a PR nothing into a PR nightmare.
- Eugene’s pronounced lack of enthusiasm for his fellow kareteka Stephen Thompson and his disdain for the nickname “Wonderboy”
- A brief digression about Bernard Malamud and Robert Redford
- Nate botches a quote from D.H. Lawrence — here’s the correct quote from the literary lion and confessed wife beater “It is humiliating to beat a woman. Afterwards one feels simply humiliated.”
- Real cowboys vs. black guys and the art of racing around a car in a street fight
- Eugene betrays the old school veterans by picking T.J. Waldburger over Mike Pyle. Partially due to Waldburger being a grappler, partly to make amends for blanking on Waldburger’s existence on a previous episode.
- Rory MacDonald vs Demian Maia and the possibility for a stall-fest stinker
- Daniel Cormier and the farcical efforts to market the Patrick Cummins mis-match with some weak WWE style canned heat.
- Ronda Rousey vs Sara McMann and why guys who don’t like WMMA are idiots
- A long digression about Thomas Pynchon’s “Gravity’s Rainbow” — a book neither of us has completed.
- The obligatory Nazi references plus a bit about the German “schwarz” vs. the Yiddish “schvartze”
- And much much more!
- UFC Fighter rankings: Mousasi and Machida both still ranked in two divisions
- DEEP JEWELS 3: Weirdness in Japan as Mizuki Inoue Disqualified for Missing Weight… Fight Goes On?
- Rousey on McMann: ‘She is trying to rip away everything I worked for’
- Pivotal Moments
- UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann preview with Kenny Florian and Jon Anik
About the author