The UFC’s 2014 Memorial Day weekend card is shaping up very nicely. Just a few hours after it was announced that the main event of the fight card would be UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman defending his title against No. 2 ranked Vitor Belfort, UFC president Dana White confirmed a second fight for the card. That fight, which will be the co-main event, will see Chael Sonnen face off against Wanderlei Silva.
ESPN broke the news of the Weidman versus Belfort fight during Saturday’s UFC 169 broadcast. There had been discussions about the fight taking place on either Memorial Day weekend or Fourth of July weekend.
White made the announcement of the Sonnen versus Silva fight following UFC 169. The UFC president confirmed the fight on Fox Sports 1 following the UFC 169 post-fight press conference.
Sonnen and Silva are currently coaching opposing teams on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil, and were involved in a dust up during filming of the show. On Thursday, White described the fight between the two coaches as “The worst thing that’s ever happened on The Ultimate Fighter.”
UFC 173 will take place in Las Vegas, a venue has not been selected for the event at this time.
- Challenger Urijah Faber tore hamstring heading into bantamweight title fight at UFC 169
- UFC 169 post-fight: Dana White says no Lesnar return anytime soon, Mir’s future undecided, planning on Aldo vs. Pettis
- UFC: Dana White says Aldo vs. Pettis is already booked
- UFC 169: Alistair Overeem vs Frank Mir full fight video highlights
- Featherweight champ Jose Aldo disappoints again at UFC 169
About the author