Sometimes, the payoff just doesn’t match the hype. And that’s generally the case when it comes to Brock Lesnar and MMA lately. There were a bunch of rumors that the former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE superstar might be in attendance at UFC 168 this weekend, and UFC president Dana White was coy when asked about it. But according to Ariel Helwani, nothing came of it. And you shouldn’t expect a return to the octagon for Lesnar:
“@tazzman0898: any news on brock?” No. He wasn’t at 168. Everyone close to him says they would be shocked if he ever fought again.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) December 30, 2013
Lesnar (5-3) last fought in December 2011 when he was stopped by Alistair Overeem. He retired after that bout, his second loss in a row, but has been continually rumored to return despite his WWE contract and his issues with diverticulitis. Dana White stated last year that he was trying to set up a Lesnar vs. Fedor Emelianenko matchup and that Lesnar was down for it, but Emelianeko chose to stay retired.
The best place to see Lesnar in action will probably be at WrestleMania 30 in New Orleans in April, where he is expected to have a match. And according to an MMA Fighting article, Lesnar can’t fight under his WWE deal anyway:
“WWE has exclusive rights to services (to Lesnar) and such exclusivity extends to ultimate fighting competitions,” said a WWE official.
About the author