It’s been a bad bad week for former UFC Welterweight Rousimar Palhares. First he didn’t get the Submission of the Night bonus for tapping out Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29. Then he was cut from the UFC for holding the dangerous heel hook submission too long (and injuring Pierce’s knee in the process). Then he was suspended for 120 days by Brazil’s CABMMA. Then Bellator’s Bjorn Rebney said they had no interest in signing him.
Now the biggest star of the only other major North American promotion says he wouldn’t fight Palhares under any circumstances. Here’s what Jon Fitch of the World Series of Fighting (WSOF) told Brian Hemminger:
“It was a second offense,” said Fitch. “Holding onto a submission too long, especially with a joint lock like that. You’re talking about ending someone’s career potentially. I think it was the right move (to release him). I personally wouldn’t accept a fight with [Palhares] because of those. One time maybe, but not twice. I would never even compete against him honestly. If he’s got that long of a history of holding onto them too long, his career should probably be done because no one should take a fight with him or a grappling match with him for that matter.”
And if Fitch were offered a fight against Palhares?
“It would be the first time in my career that I turned down a fight.”
Asia’s One FC remains the last major MMA promotion in the world not to weigh in on Palhares.
Fitch will face Marcelo Alfaya at WSOF 6 on September 26 in Coral Gables, Florida.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Chael Sonnen finds his muse in Wanderlei Silva’s t-shirt
- Bjorn Rebney wonders about the UFC’s silence on signing Ben Askren
- Bradley vs. Marquez full fight video online highlights: Bradley edged out Marquez for a Split Decision
- Bradley vs. Marquez highlights, results, and gifs:Bradley edges to win the split decision over Marquez
- Glory 11 results & highlights gifs: Spong finishes Corbett, Verhoeven wins tournament
SBN coverage of UFC Fight Night 29: Maia vs. Shields
Latest From Our Partners
About the author