No good news for Rousimar Palhares. The former UFC Welterweight was cut from the organization for refusing to release a submission on Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29 this past Wednesday in Brazil. He’s also been hit with a 120 day suspension from Brazil’s CABMMA. Meanwhile Pierce is medically suspended for 6 months following the heel hook that Palhares wouldn’t release.
Now Palhares’ ex-coach Murilo Bustamante of the Brazilian Top Team is speaking out about Palhares and it ain’t good, via Fighters Only:
“I can say this – nobody ever defended him as much as I did every time he made a mistake like this. In the beginning I thought it was because he was naive or had too much nervous energy during the fights.
“But then he caused a lot of incidents inside my academy during his camps and I changed my mind. I got tired of seeing how he hurts people so often when he is sparring, especially when he has a fight coming up. We used to argue every time it happened, so we argued a lot.
“That was a reason – together with his nonsense excuses every time he lost a fight – that our relationship started to get bitter. I actually hired a psychologist to help me with him but, as we have seen, it didn’t work.”
Now with Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney saying they won’t sign Palhares, it’s hard to see where the troubled submission specialist goes from here.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Heavyweights dominate the UFC 164 payroll
- How to Watch Bradley vs Marquez PPV: Live stream, fight time, results, fight card, and live fight online schedule
- UFC fighter rankings: 170-pound division sees some changes
- Legacy FC 24 results and highlights: Holly Holm destroys Nikki Knudsen
- Bellator 103 Results & highlights: Pitbull, Wilcox advance, Rickels wins
About the author