UFC on Fox 2 features a fight at lightweight between Michael Johnson (9-6; 1-2 UFC) and Shane Roller (10-5; 1-2 UFC). This fight is a part of the FUEL TV prelims. Neither fighter is currently ranking according to the USA Today / MMA Nation Consensus MMA Rankings due to their recent losses. The Fuel TV prelims begin this Saturday, January 28 at 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT, with the main card following on Fox at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT.
Lightweight has always been considered one of the most exciting divisions in MMA with fighters finding a way to throw with immense power yet also maintain a high pace of action. With no clear cut contenders for the lightweight title after Ben Henderson, this fight will be important for both Johnson and Roller as the winner will surely make a jump up in the rankings. This also means that the loser may be in danger of losing his job as there is limited space on the UFC’s roster at this current moment.
How do these two stack up?
Johnson: 25 years old | 5’10” | 74.0″ reach
Shane Roller: 32 years old | 5’10” | 72.0″ reach
What have these two done recently?
Johnson: L – Paul Sass (SUB) | W – Edward Faaloloto (TKO) | L – Jonathan Brookins (UD)
Roller: L – T.J. Grant (SUB) | L – Melvin Guillard (KO) | W – Thiago Tavares (KO)
How did these two get here?
Michael Johnson made his way to the UFC like many before him: as a contestant on the Ultimate Fighter. Johnson was rejected on two previous tryouts (audition?) before finally making it onto the twelfth season. After defeating Pablo Garza to get into the house, Johnson became the top pick for Georges St. Pierre. He lost to teammate Jonathan Brookins in the finale. Since then he’s gone 1-1 in the promotion and has at times demonstrated an amazing level of athleticism and toughness.
Shane Roller became a UFC fighter after the WEC merger. A member of Team Takedown, Roller was a three-time All-American at Oklahoma State University. After a 6-2 run in the WEC, he made his UFC debut with a stunning win over Thiago Tavares. Unfortunately, he has been finished in his last two fights.
Why should you care?
While neither fighter will be in title contention in the immediate future, both possess the skill-set to make a run at the mid-tier level. Roller is a knockout threat and Johnson is a young fighter with loads of potential which makes this an exciting matchup on paper.
More UFC on Fox 2 preview coverage from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC On Fox 2: Michael Bisping Flips Off Fans At Weigh Ins, Nearly Loses Sponsor – Kid Nate
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio – Episode 128: UFC On Fox Preview
- UFC On FOX 2 Evans Vs. Davis: Fight Card And Staff Predictions
- UFC On Fox 2 Weigh-In Video And Coverage – Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Haters Be Damned, Rashad Evans Is A Big Star – Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Dana White On Chael’s Fake Belt, Fox Production, The Internet – Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: WWE Champion CM Punk On Brock Lesnar, Chael Sonnen Walkout – Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Complete Pre-Fight Press Conference – Kid Nate
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part Two) – Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2: Phil Davis Striking Analysis – Fraser Coffeen
- UFC On Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis Betting Lines – Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen Does Interview With UFC Fake Belt, Calls Kenny Rice A Liar – Kid Nate
- Demian Maia Thinks You Only Need Two Brain Cells To Know Chael Sonnen Is Joking – Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part One) – Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: A Day In The Life Of Phil Davis – Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: The Time For Joe Rogan To Shine Has Arrived – Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen’s Coach ‘Bisping Breaks Easily’ – Matthew Roth
- Phil Davis Discusses Differences From Rashad Evans’ Wrestling Game – Brent Brookhouse
- Michael Bisping Skewers Chael Sonnen On Inside MMA – Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Dana White Releases First Video Blog – Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Middleweight Division State of the Union – Fraser Coffeen
- UFC on Fox: Dana White Guarantees Chael Sonnen Will Face Anderson Silva With Win – Brent Brookhouse
About the author