UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn on Dana White

Here's Dan Severn on the current UFC: PC: You are in the UFC Hall of Fame. Did you ever try to get a position…

By: Nate Wilcox | 16 years ago
UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn on Dana White
Bloody Elbow 2.0 | Anton Tabuena

Here’s Dan Severn on the current UFC:

PC: You are in the UFC Hall of Fame. Did you ever try to get a position over there?

DS: No. It has changed. The game has changed and the company has changed. The UFC is coming under more scrutiny all of the time. It’s not the same product that it once was. I do a lot of things with mixed martial arts. I work with a lot of other companies. I do have a passion for the sport and I would like to have a positive influence in the direction of the sport because the bottom line is, you’re taking care of an athlete. I really don’t see that happening with a Dana White at the helm of the UFC. I think they’ve done a lot of good things for the sport, but at the same token, they have a cocky, conceded arrogance that is coming about them and I don’t care for it. It’s changed and I don’t know who the leadership comes from. From what I know, they have the two brothers, the Fertitta brothers, that own basically 90% of the UFC and Dana White owns the other 10%, but Dana White is kind of the face of the UFC and seems like he is the one making the most comments about everything that’s going on. He may not be the best person that should be out there articulating his opinions. If he is, they may want to bring somebody in there to groom him a little more and help him on his presentation skills. I politically danced around that one a little bit (laughing).

Share this story

About the author
Nate Wilcox
Nate Wilcox

Nate Wilcox is the founding editor of BloodyElbow.com. As such he has hired every editor and writer to work for the site. Wilcox’s writing for BE is known for its emphasis on MMA history, the evolution of fighting techniques and strong opinions. Wilcox developed the SBN MMA consensus rankings which were featured in USA Today from 2009 to 2011. Before founding BE, Wilcox was a political operative working for such figures as Senators John Kerry and Mark Warner and an early political blogger. He is the co-author of Netroots Rising, a history of the political blogosphere from 2003 to 2007. Wilcox also hosts the Let It Roll podcast on music history for the Pantheon Podcast Network.

More from the author

Related Stories